Though stiletto nails have been recently highlighted in the fashion world due to celebrities like Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Fergie sporting the design, these types of nails have been around sine the 50s and 60s. As the trend is growing, regular women are starting to catch on to this daring look. And that’s exactly what stiletto nails are: daring. Or are they dangerous? Perhaps a bit of both, but that only adds to the fun of trying them out.
What Are They?
Stiletto nails are fierce and bold. They are oval shaped nails that are more pointed than rounded at the tip, and are usually very long. Since they’re so long, they’re almost always fake. They look cool, and are very extreme. You actually have to be careful when you have stiletto nails because they really can cause injuries. However, most people who try them out do it because they love the look.
When it comes to nails, especially long ones because they provide more surface room, literally anything is possible. Any idea that you have in your mind for a design can become a reality. Let’s take a look at some examples…
There are really countless possible designs, but we’re going to take a peek at 48 gorgeous ones here on Ink Your Nail.
Cool Stiletto Nails
A design like this is often thought of as “cat claws” and have even been referred to as wolverine-like as well.2. Gothic Black
Cool stiletto nails done in pure midnight black like above are a classic style for anyone wanting to create a menacingly sexy style. Perfect for almost any look regarding Halloween, rock/metal concerts, or the gothic appeal that many women look great flaunting.3. Dazzling Chanel
Yes, those are Chanel nails – a powder pink and cosmic sparkle that grab the attention of your audience and immediately dazzle.4. Chanel No. 5
And if you still want to sport Chanel while still styling their logo but with a twist – this design is truly a unique and wonderful way to amaze your audience. Black gems and a diamond logo paired with arrow stripes and a gold chain.
6. Vividly Egyptian
This design is bedazzling, and uses a wonderful color scheme. Navy blue, magenta, powder pink, and a sparkling nail done in gems. The middle finger done with the Eye of Horus is truly what brings it all together.
White with silver linings. Ever hear of the expression “silver lining”? The silver at the edge of the horizon? It means there’s hope; there’s a win down the road.
13. Metallic Red Holiday
Especially with darker skin tones, metallic nail polish mixed with a stiletto look is almost futuristic or out of this world! If its Christmas time, this color will dazzle at parties.
Sometimes you just feel like that bright near-magenta pink. And to add a bit more to the style, you can have the color lighten (or darken) towards the tips.
28. Egyptian Queen
Look at all those gems and rings placed on a sea of turquoise! This design is truly a piece of art, having so many beautiful pieces that combine well to create this wondrously cool stiletto nails.
31. Matching with a Bestie
If you want to get a manicure with someone you love, like a best friend, you can always get the same color only in different shades with slight differences. Take these for example. Both pink, one with polka-dots, the other with leopard print.
32. Pastels & the Bermuda Triangle
Pure black stilettos can seem almost too menacing for some of us personalities out there. You can always add some small designs done in shimmering pastels to brighten up the design, or some colorful gems.
35. Tan and Striped
These nails are a natural color with the added mystique of white lines and barely-there sparkles that catch the light perfectly.
48. An Added Novelty
All you need is that one sparkly nail to spruce things up.
Some Details to Consider with Cool Stiletto Nails…
- If you want to keep things simple, solid colors are the way to go. The length and shape of the nails really accentuates the flawlessness solid colors can have on stiletto nails.
- Matte nail colors are becoming more and more popular. Add a design with sparkly regular nail polish, such as a deep plum French tip (on top of a black matte), and your nails will stand out even further.
- Try all black stiletto nails and then paint the underside of the nails a different color. The surprise splash of color is striking, especially depending on what color you choose, for example, a bright red.
- Poke-a-dots and stripes can go a long way!
- When you’re already trying a bold look, there’s no time to be shy about it! Have a different design on each nail, but make sure they match it some way, like having the same color scheme or theme.
- Adding gold or silver tips to any solid color makes for a fun variation.
- Take the French manicure way down. So far down, in fact, that the result is what is known as “half moon” nails. This look is a twist on something classic.
- Choose either one or two nails on each hand (either your ring fingers or your thumbs and middle fingers) and put a design on just those. You can accent the design on the remaining nails, but for those, simple is best.
- Use rhinestones on top of your stiletto nails to create some types of pattern, such as two parallel vertical lines of the small stones down the center of each nail.
- The possibilities with lines are endless! Do two thin diagonal lines across each nail for something simple, or create random lines and fill in the spaces between them with different colors for something a bit more complex.
- Floral prints are very popular and feminine.
- Try a holiday or seasonal theme and get into the spirit of whatever time of year it is. There are many options for this.
- Make your already daring nails 3D! There are tons of stickers and accessories that can be glued on to make sure that your nails will be a head turner no matter what.
As you can see, there are plenty of options out there. Copy the designs here and you’ll be looking fabulous! Or use them for your own inspiration and come up with a new and unique idea.
Now that you’ve been convinced by all the awesome possibilities, you need to know how to get stiletto nails. As mentioned before, these nails are almost always fake, and it’s good to know that before going in because you have several options. The first and most common way is to go to a nail salon and have a nail specialist do them for you. They know what they are doing and will be able to give you what you are looking for once you describe your particular desires to them.
The other option is to do them yourself. In this case, you will need to buy a fake nail kit, already in the oval shape. You then can file the nails to the length and exact shape that you want, either more pointed or slightly more rounded, but remember that stiletto nails usually come to some type of tip. When you buy the kit, it should come with some nail glue. From there, it’s rather simple. Glue the shaped nails on each nail and then file them again to make sure they match and feel good. Then you can start painting!
It should also be mentioned that just because stiletto nails are known as being super long, it doesn’t mean that they have to be. You can still have dramatic stiletto nails without going to insane lengths. Just do what you feel comfortable with. If after awhile you want to get crazy, then just go for it! These interesting nails will definitely keep you entertained!